West Bengal, where coronavirus cases plunged to take a horrific turn in the aftermath of Assembly elections, is one of the most concerning hotspots in the country as of now. While COVID-19 cases in India have shown a drop over the last few days, West Bengal recorded a 34.4 per cent positivity rate in infections as of May 11. Two districts in the state – Kolkata and North 24 Parganas – contributed to one-third of the active caseload over the past 8 days.
The Government in its notification has given the following pointers ;
- There shall be a complete lockdown wef 16 May, 2021(5.00 AM) to 24 May, 2021 (6.00 AM) in the entire State. However, some reports state the lockdown will be in effect till 30th May (6: 00 AM).
- All State Government offices, shops including ration shops, private commercial establishments, institutions, gymnasiums, markets and factories, other than those engaged in production of medicines, medical equipment, oxygen and allied sectors shall remain closed.
- Central Government Offices shall operate as per the instructions of the Government of India. The officers and staff working in such offices shall be allowed to travel to their offices and back during this period on production of valid Government ID card.
- All activities/congregations and movement of people and goods and passenger vehicles, including two-wheelers, shall be prohibited/restricted except for the following exceptions:
- Movement of people and vehicles including passenger vehicles required for essential goods (eg milk, food items, vegetables, animal feed, petroleum products, medical supplies, LPG) shall be allowed. The police on duty shall seek guidance of concerned DM, SP or SDM in case they need any clarification in this regard.
- Medicine shops shall be allowed to remain open.
- Milk vending shops will be permitted to remain open from 7.00 AM up to 11.00 AM.
- Movement of people and vehicles required for maintenance of all essential services for example hospitals, veterinary services, telecom, banks, insurance companies, power supply, sanitation and waste management, water supply. urban services, post offices, social security institutions like old age home etc. Concerned officials/persons should, at all times, carry with them, and present for inspection on demand, the deployment letter or valid ID Card to the Police.
Further Updates will awaited